Jacob M. Kolman M.A. leverages a background in English literature, analytic philosophy (including research ethics and epistemology of science), and work experience in tutoring and college instruction to support interdisciplinary STEM research teams in the healthcare industry and academia. He currently supports researchers at both a top-ranked hospital research institute in Texas (Houston Methodist Center for Outcomes Research) and a Tier 1 research university (Texas A&M University, at the Applied Cognitive Ergonomics Laboratory).
His services include in-house technical writing, copy editing, and pre-submission review for documents including grant proposals, IRB applications, peer-reviewed journal manuscripts, and conference materials. He also assists with systematic literature reviews, qualitative research (e.g., thematic analysis of text and interviews), and skill-building tutorials primarily in writing techniques and time management. He also occasionally publishes his own scholarly works in philosophy and medical ethics.
- Email: email@example.com
Education & Work
- M.A., Philosophy, 2010, Rice University, Houston, TX
- B.A., Summa Cum Laude, English and Philosophy (with Honors Thesis in Philosophy), 2005, Austin College, Sherman, TX.
- Texas A&M University Applied Cognitive Ergonomics Lab, Research Engineering Associate, remote (2018-present)
- Houston Methodist Center for Outcomes Research, Senior Research Assistant, Houston, TX (2014-present)
- Baylor College of Medicine, Center for Ethics and Health Policy, Research Assistant, Houston, TX (2008-2011)
- Rice Tutors, Advanced Tutor / Specialized Tutor, Houston, TX (2006-2014; 2017-2018)
- San Jacinto College – South Campus, Adjunct Instructor (Philosophy), Houston, TX (2012-2015)
- Rice University, Sarofim Teaching Fellow, Houston, TX (2011)
- Kolman JM, Miller SM. Six values never to silence: Jewish perspectives on Nazi medical professionalism. Rambam Maimonides Med J. 2018;9(1), e0007. doi:10.5041/RMMJ.10327
- Kolman JM, Wray NP, Ashton CM, Wenner DM, Jarman AF, Brody BA. Conflicts among multinational ethical and scientific standards for clinical trials of therapeutic interventions. J Law Med Ethics. 2012;40(1):99–121.
- Ashton CM, Wray NP, Jarman AF, Kolman JM, Wenner DM, Brody BA. A taxonomy of multi-national ethical and methodological standards for clinical trials of therapeutic interventions. J Med Ethics. 2011;37:386–373.